Our History

Rev. Thomas F. Fraylon, Pastor 1933-1954

The Greater Mount Sinai Baptist Church was once a part of the Mount Moriah Primitive Baptist Church, which was located at the corner of North Alexander and East 11th Streets. In October of 1933, Mt. Sinai Baptist Church was founded under the leadership of Rev. Thomas F. Fraylon. The Union Prayer Hall on South Caldwell Street was used as the place of worship. From this site, the congregation moved to a location on East 10th Street, and from there to 7th Street, however not without obstacles before going into the 7th Street building, such as construction materials, high labor and very limited financial funding. Upon completion of the 7th Street sanctuary, the church was dedicated to the Lord. It was then that Brother James Crowder, a trustee, suggested that because of the many obstacles and struggles, the name be changed to Greater Mount Sinai Baptist Church. That suggestion was accepted and thus remains the name of our church today. Many auxiliaries were organized. Those that are active today are: the Senior Choir (Voices), Choir No. 1 (Hymn Choir), Choir No. 2 (Note Choir), and the Senior Usher Board. Rev. Fraylon’s wife, Mrs. Lottie C. Fraylon, served as musician to the Senior Choir. Rev. James Hardin was an Associate Minister along with Rev. James Stroud and Rev. Williams, not to be mistaken for a pastor who was called later. In 1954, Rev. Fraylon was called from labor to reward.

Rev. James E. Fiddmont, Pastor 1954-1958

Following Rev. Fraylon, Rev. James E. Fiddmont, Jr., was extended the call to be pastor. He accepted and continued the ongoing progress of the church. His leadership brought in many members and a 6 o’clock Sunday evening broadcast on radio station WGIV. The lower level of the church was renovated and the parsonage was purchased. In 1958, tragedy struck our church when, Rev. Fiddmont was taken from us due to a terrible automobile accident.


Two other ministers served our church; Rev. W. F. Elliot and Rev. A Walter Williams. Each made worthwhile contributions. Rev. Robert Miller, who pastored Trinity Baptist Church until he was called from labor to reward, began his ministry under the pastorate of Rev. Williams.

Rev. Norman E. Kerry, Sr, Pastor 1964-1985

In 1964, we were again without a pastor. Rev. Andrew Cuthbertson, former pastor of the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, served as Interim pastor until the church extended the call to Rev. Norman E. Kerry, Sr., who was pastoring in Belmont, N.C. Under Rev. Kerry’s leadership, former members returned and new members were added. The 7th Street edifice was renovated with new carpet, installation of central air conditioning, and the purchase of an organ. The Missionary Department was reorganized and the Brotherhood organized. The mortgage at the parsonage was paid off and renovation of the parsonage was done. The Senior Choir concert was instituted and albums were recorded under the direction of his wife, Sis. Jean Kerry. Rev. Kerry served as chairman of the music committee when the National S.S. & B.T.U. Congress convened in our city in 1966. With things looking up at the 7th Street site, we were informed that the street would be widened. We would have to be moved back or the steps would have to be taken away. Nothing materialized in our favor. Our church was bought by Urban renewal, giving Pastor Kerry and the officers’ time to find a place of worship for our church family. Many of the white churches were for sale but because we were people of color we were denied the opportunity to purchase them.

This West Boulevard property was turned over to the Mecklenburg Southern Baptist Association, as were many others. Pastor Kerry, knowing members on the board of that association, negotiated with them and the price was lowered from the first price quoted. A loan, donations, a building fund and money from the sale of the 7th Street site enabled us to move to this location on the 1st Sunday in March 1975 and additional land was purchased for parking. Other auxiliaries were organized and Sis. Kerry saw the need for a Nurses Guild. The Nurses Guild along with the Young Adult Choir, Young Adult Missionaries and the Pastor’s Aid to name a few, were birthed. Four young men were called into the ministry: Rev. Lewis Moore, Rev. Sam Floyd, Jr., Rev. Herbert Sturdivant and Rev. Norman E. Kerry, Jr. Rev. Carl Clark and Rev. R.B. Seth also served as Associate Ministers. After 20 years serving as pastor, Rev. Kerry was called from labor to reward in April 1985.

Rev. George Cook, Jr., Pastor 1986-Present

Being without a pastor and needing a leader, a search committee was appointed. This search ended on the 27th of October 1986 when Rev. George Cook, Jr., of Birmingham, Alabama accepted the call to become pastor number five of The Greater Mount Sinai Baptist Church. Rev. Cook has been pastor, teacher, counselor, advisor, and listener. He has instituted an Orientation Department for new members, Teachers’ Enrichment Class, housed the Metrolina Seminary Classes, and was instructor of one of the classes. Rev. Cook has organized a Senior Citizens Group (The Young At Hearts), a Male Chorus (Wings Over Sinai), purchased new vans, the house next door to the church and a lot for additional parking. A Fellowship Hall was built and computers purchased, which were utilized for inviting people to come to our church. He has licensed the following persons into the ministry: Rev. James Coleman, Rev. Freeman Talford, Rev. Windy Allison, Rev. Lucille Taylor, Rev. Quinton Cato and Rev. Joan Redfearn. Rev. Brunswick, Rev. Hamilton, Rev. Nathan Dobie, Rev. Reginald Lewis, Rev. Alpha Arnett, Rev. Sylvester Allison, and Rev. Jerry Bailey joined our church family and assisted in our worship services. Under the leadership of Pastor Cook, Rev. Anthony Herring became our Christian Ministries Director. Pastor Cook has organized the Grace Support Group, where two groups meet in our church each week for support. The Deacons Family Life Ministry and the Youth Church were organized. The Youth Church has services each 2nd Sunday in the Fellowship Hall. In 1996, a Vision was revealed to Pastor Cook to lead us into the “New Millennium.” Prayer Partners have been organized and church leaders have been taught for the purpose of implementing their outreach ministries. In 1999, Bible Study, the Singles Ministry, Marriage Enrichment Ministry and the Care Ministry were birthed. Rev. Cook served as moderator of our Association, the Mecklenburg General Baptist Association and the United Baptist Association, which consists of our church and other Black and White congregations. His wife, Sis. Ruby Cook, serves as one of the instructors in our Sunday School, Singles Ministry Advisor, serves on the Deaconess Board and the Note Choir.


Two deacons were ordained under Rev. Fraylon’s pastorate: Deacon Luther Floyd and Deacon Byrd Jamerson. Other deacons were ordained and trustees elected under Rev. Williams’ and Kerry’s pastorate: Deacons James Tyson, Henry Brown, John Carter and Albert Meaders. Under the pastorate of Rev. Cook, 15 men have been ordained Deacons and several persons added to the Trustee Board. Several families from 7th Street are still active today.


We remember those who blazed the trail that led us to where we are today. With God’s guidance, we’ve come this far by faith, as the hymn writer wrote, “our hope is build on nothing less, than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. We dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name. On Christ the Solid Rock we stand, all other ground is sinking sand.”